Macromedia Contribute, webdav, and SSI

Long story short: Contribute 3 destroys SSI directives when publishing via webdav. Can someone prove me wrong?

So I’m messing around with Macromedia Contribute 3 and webdav on my dev linux box. This is my first time using Contribute, and it’s my first time using webdav. The one-two punch of cluelessness. Since every Web site that’s more than 4 pages should use SSI, that’s what I was trying to do. Well, whenever I editted a page in Contribute that used includes strange things happened.

Contribute was pulling the contents of the SSI out, and plopping them in place of the SSI directive. Thus, breaking my SSIs by statically placing the data into the file I was editting. Needless to say, this pissed me off.

I read everywhere that Contribute and SSI do in fact get along. I’ll spare you the boring tales of all the things I tried in order to locate the issue. I thought perhaps webdav was the problem. I switched to using SFTP and *poof* that did it. I can now edit shtml files with Contribute. I hope this saved some others some grief!

Leave a Comment