Hi Everybody! (“Hi Dr. Nick“)
My name is Joel Coreson. I’m a [age = currentYear – 1977] year-old male living and working in beautiful Portland, Oregon, USA. I run a Web development firm with my business partner Morgan called Prise Design Group. That’s pronounced “priZe,” as in enterprise. Hmm, should one have to clarify the pronunciation of their business? Probably not … oh well 😉
We’ve been in business since 1998, but it’s been a full-time venture for me since 2003. I usually do the “geeky stuff” like back-end, database, programming and what-not while Morgan does the “snazzy stuff” such as design, graphics, logos, etc. It works out quite well. I think we do great work personally!
I try to shoot for semantic HTML and componentized, portable code. But I also live in the real world and will gladly compromise my ideals in order to get the product out the door.
With all that being said about ASP, I’ve moved to PHP for my primary language. Why? Because it’s free, and so is the server, and the operating system, and damn near everything else involved with it. I think it’s an OK language. I’m not a big fan of the “functions with really long names do everything for you” format, but it’s not like I lose sleep over it. You can’t beat the resources on the net either. PHP has a very active following, and that is important to me.
Apart from being a geek I also enjoy:
- My wife Kate: Awwwwww.
- Music: All types … no, really. Unlike other people who say “I like all music,” I actually mean it.
- Friends: My wife and I are weird. We hang out with a tight-nit group of friends spanning from college, high school, jr. high, all the way back to — I’m serious — elementary school. Dubbed simply: “The Crew”.
- Camping and Hiking: Easy to do in Oregon
- Tennis: Not so easy to do in Oregon
- Photography: Here are some random photos of mine on flickr.
I also like long walks on the beach, hot cocoa, and snuggling.
Ah, the internet. Has there ever been a better way to talk about yourself and masturbate your ego? I THINK NOT! Hope you enjoy the site. Post a comment or contact me if you like 🙂